Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Studying business in a war zone


LONDON, England (CNN) -- Like many MBA students, particularly those combining a distance-learning course with a full-time job, Joel Parker occasionally finds it difficult to complete his assignments on time.
He does, however, usually have a good excuse, as illustrated by the recent email he sent his graduate advisor at Regis University's business school, Bob Deemer.
"If it's okay with you sir, I may be a little late handing in my assignments as my unit may be under fire," wrote Parker -- or to give him his full title, Captain Joel Parker of the U.S. Army's 3rd Brigade, currently stationed in Iraq.
Deemer has heard all mannser of excuses for late work in the past, but was happy to grant Parker a bit more time, given that he does not have many students in war zones.
The 36-year old infantry officer began his MBA at Regis University, in Denver, Colorado, while still stationed in the United States before being posted to Iraq.
Despite the difficulties of his mission, Parker has continued his studies and has completed more than half the degree while in Iraq, something he says has actually helped make the deployment more bearable.
"I'm working on my degree because it brings normalcy to my life," he says.
"It gives me something to look forward to. Everyone has a means of mental escape. Some people work out, exercise or play cards to pass the time. I'm just choosing to use my time to complete my degree."
Parker's MBA class holds their commencement, the ceremony for graduating students, in less than three weeks, when he will still be in Iraq.
However, he still hopes to "attend" by watching a live Internet broadcast of the event, which his father, Leedell, will attend on his behalf.
Determination
The elder Parker has long been impressed by his son's dedication. "While he was in the reserves in the Marines, he got his undergraduate degree while working two jobs," he says.
"I'm blown away by his progress with his master's degree. It's beyond words how proud I am of him and what he's done to enhance his life. All of this while he's in war zone -- it's extraordinary. I don't know how to tell him how proud I am of him."
Captain Parker himself says he wants to be an example for other people serving in a war zone.
"I want others in the military to know that it's possible to fight in a war and complete your degree, says Parker. "I just did it, I hope others will follow."
It is a worthwhile aspiration, says Regis's Deemer.
"Getting an online degree isn't easy by any means, but it does afford you the flexibility of working a degree into your life, regardless of career demands," he says.
Parker has a number of options once he completes the MBA.
Should he decide to leave military service, he will most likely find himself in demand in the civilian world -- as Executive Education detailed recently, some recruiters now directly target former officers with postgraduate business qualifications (see here).
And if he stays, armies around the world are waking up to the benefits of MBAs and similar qualifications within their own ranks. In another Executive Education story, we profiled a special MBA (Defense) which UK service personnel can now study for (see here).

No comments: